Sisters in Speed

 


Eight-time land speed record holder Valerie Thompson and her sponsor Barby Barone are teammates in the truest sense of the word. Each helps the other in their mutual quest for excellence.

Barone and other sponsors make it possible for Thompson to compete by underwriting some of her expenses in salt flat streamliner car and motorcycle racing. Thompson in turn helps Barone’s personal financial advisory firm, Biltmore Advisors, reach its goal of visibility in the world of motorsports through signage on the vehicles and team uniforms.

In the case of Thompson – the World’s Fastest Woman on Two Wheels – the goal is nothing less than shattering the current land speed record of 376 mph for a streamliner motorcycle.


But the sponsorship is only the beginning of this rewarding relationship, as both women draw inspiration and motivation from one another.

“I’m totally impressed with who she is as a person, and the complete mastery of skills she exhibits. This sport is fraught with danger, and she has ice water in her veins,” said Barone of Thompson.

“This support goes a long way,” said Thompson. “I chose a career where people say ‘no’ over 90% of the time. Without sponsorship, no team can race competitively, so you need all the help you can get.”

“What’s important with a sponsor is the friendship and open communication that comes with it. I can call Barby anytime. She makes me feel like she really believes in me…maybe more than I do myself sometimes,” said Thompson.

Thompson continued. “Athletes are the biggest critics of their own performance. Barby shines, with all the people she supports. She gets people excited about themselves.”

Barone will bring that enthusiasm out to the Bonneville Motorcycle Speed Trials in Utah this August when she is present for Thompson’s testing in the streamliner motorcycle BUB-7.


“We aren’t going to have you standing around. You’re a part of the team. We’re going to put you to work!” Valerie told Barby. “Umbrella girl. Water girl. Whatever.”

The relationship has clearly enriched each woman as they glimpse into one another’s world. For Thompson, she is reminded of her life before racing as a banker in Tacoma, Washington. “She makes me miss the banking world a little bit. I really enjoyed it. But each of us needs to be the top of our own field. For me, that’s being a professional racer. For Barby, it’s being a financial advisor. It’s what we are both driven to do. That’s why we get along so well,” said Thompson.

“I love competition and being able to prove that I am the best on any given day. I’m not doing this for the money. I’m doing it because it’s what makes me an individual, what sets me apart. I want to be the best I can be, and I’m going to let my throttle foot do the talking.”

“She couldn’t have said it better,” laughed Barone.

Investment Advisory Services offered through Mutual Advisors, LLC DBA Biltmore Advisors, an SEC registered investment advisor.